Tempo de leitura: 5 minutos
Inequality by Ulisses Wehby de Carvalho
Textos Mastigados #71
Global inequality is ‘out of control’
Venha ler e traduzir comigo o artigo Global inequality is ‘out of control’. Você vai aprender e/ou rever o significado e a pronúncia de wealth, amass, charity, call on, ease, burden, the elderly, tax, wealthy, healthcare, unpaid, widening, gap, gender, labor, fuel (v.), warn, aging, stoke, looming, tackle, concerted, bold, policy, byproduct, flourish, entre muitas outras.
Aumente seu vocabulário do Business English (Inglês para Negócios), aperfeiçoe sua pronúncia e amplie seus conhecimentos gerais. As dúvidas são esclarecidas na seção de comentários.
Global inequality is ‘out of control’ no YouTube
Texto e Glossário
Global inequality is ‘out of control’:22 men own more wealth than Africa’s 326 million women, Oxfam says
- OWN (v.) /oʊn/ = to legally have something, especially because you have bought it [ter, possuir]
- WEALTH (n.) /welθ/ = a large amount of money and other valuable things [riqueza, bens, fortuna]
- OXFAM (n.) = Oxfam is a confederation of 19 independent charitable organizations focusing on the alleviation of global poverty, founded in 1942 and led by Oxfam International. It is a major nonprofit group with an extensive collection of operations. [Oxfam]
Global inequality is “out of control” because of biased economic systems that exclude many women while allowing billionaires to amass huge fortunes that do little for society, according to Oxfam International.
- INEQUALITY (n.) /ˌɪnɪˈkwɑləti/ = a situation in which people are not equal because some groups have more opportunities, power, money, etc. than others [desigualdade]
- BIASED / BIASSED (adj.) /ˈbaɪəst/ = preferring one person, thing, or idea to another in a way that is unfair [tendencioso, distorcido, preconceituoso]
- AMASS (v.) /əˈmæs/ = to collect a lot of something such as money or information over a period of time [acumular, juntar, amealhar] — Cf. Zuckerberg: No one deserves to have that much money
The charity is calling on governments to implement policies that ease the burden on women who provide care for children and the elderly, often for little or no pay. Oxfam suggests higher taxes on the wealthy, and more spending by national governments on child- and health care.
- CHARITY (n.) /ˈtʃerəti/ = an organization to which you give money so that it can give money and help to people who are poor or sick, or who need advice and support [instituição beneficente]
- CALL ON (phrasal verb) = to officially ask a person or organization to do something [apelar, requerer]
- EASE (v.) /iz/ = to make a problem, bad situation, or pain less severe [atenuar, aliviar, suavizar, mitigar, diminuir, abrandar, reduzir]
- BURDEN (n.) /ˈbɜrd(ə)n/ = a serious or difficult responsibility that you have to deal with [fardo, peso, carga, ônus, responsabilidade]
- THE ELDERLY (n.) /ˈeldərli/ = old people. Many people now think that this expression is offensive. [os idosos]
- TAX (n.) /tæks/ = an amount of money that you have to pay to the government that it uses to provide public services and pay for government institutions [imposto] — Cf. Business English
- WEALTHY (adj.) /ˈwelθi/ = a wealthy person, organization, or country is one that has a large amount of money, land, and other valuable things [rico, abastado]
- CHILDCARE (n.) /ˈtʃaɪldˌker/ = the job of taking care of children, especially while their parents are working [assistência à infância]
- HEALTH CARE / HEALTHCARE (n.) /ˈhelθ ˌker/ = the services that take care of people’s health [saúde pública, sistema de saúde, assistência médica]
Oxfam’s annual report on inequality was released ahead of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, which each year brings together many of the world’s wealthiest and most influential people. Among the report’s key findings:
- AHEAD OF (expr.) = if something happens ahead of an event or time, it happens before that event or time [antes]
- WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM (n.) = The World Economic Forum is an NGO, founded in 1971. The WEF hosts an annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland. [Fórum Econômico Mundial]
- FINDINGS (n.) /ˈfaɪndɪŋz/ = information that you discover, or opinions that you form after doing research [conclusões, resultados] — Cf. FIND x FOUND x FUND
The world’s 2,153 billionaires have more wealth than 4.6 billion people.
The 22 richest men have more wealth than all the women in Africa.
According to the UN, there are 326 million aged 20 and over.
The world’s richest 1% have more than twice as much wealth as 6.9 billion people.
The value of unpaid care work by women aged 15 and over is $10.8 trillion annually.
- UNPAID (adj.) /ˌʌnˈpeɪd/ = unpaid work is work that you are not paid for [não remunerado]
The number of billionaires has doubled over the past decade.
- DOUBLE (v.) /ˈdʌb(ə)l/ = to become twice as big, twice as much, or twice as many [dobrar, duplicar]
The 63-page report argues that world leaders are not doing enough to address the widening gap between the poor and the rich. It focuses this year on policies that allow men to dominate the top ranks of business and government. Economic inequality, the report argues, is built on gender inequality.
- WIDENING (adj.) = of things that are growing wider; of things that are separate, with increasing separation [crescente]
- GAP (n.) /ɡæp/ = a space or opening in the middle of something or between things [lacuna, espaço, distância, diferença, hiato]
- GENDER (n.) /ˈdʒendər/ = the roles, behaviors, activities, and characteristics that a particular society considers appropriate for men and women [gênero, sexo] — Cf. True gender equity at work is still a distant reality
Clube Tecla SAP
Os membros do Clube Tecla SAP recebem o .pdf completo usado nas lives do Tecla SAP. Clique para conhecer as outras vantagens e se torne membro você também.
Speak up! We’re listening…
O que você achou do vídeo Global inequality is ‘out of control’? O que de mais interessante você aprendeu? Participe, por gentileza, na seção de comentários. Muito obrigado!
Playlist Textos Mastigados
Assista aos outros vídeos da playlist Textos Mastigados. Enriqueça seu vocabulário, aperfeiçoe sua pronúncia e amplie seus conhecimentos gerais.