Tempo de leitura: menos de 1 minuto
Mark G. Nash e Willians Ramos Ferreira
The Poor Farmer
A man owned a small farm in North Carolina. The North Carolina Wage Office & Hours Department claimed he was not paying proper wages to his help and sent an agent out to investigate.
“I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them,” demanded the agent.
“Well,” replied the farmer, “there’s my farm hand who’s been with me for 3 years. I pay him $400.00 a week plus free room and board.
The cook has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $300.00 per week plus free room and board.
Then there’s the half-wit. He works about 18 hours every day and does about 90% of all the work around here. He makes about $10.00 a week, pays his own room and board, and I buy him a bottle of Bourbon every Saturday night. He also sleeps with my wife occasionally.”
“That’s the guy I want to talk to… the half-wit,” says the Agent.
“That would be me,” replied the farmer.
- the poor farmer > o pobre fazendeiro
- owned a small farm > tinha um pequeno sítio
- the North Carolina Wage Office & Hours Department > o Departamento de Supervisão de Horas e Remuneração salariais da Carolina do Norte
- claimed > alegou
- was not paying proper wages > não estava pagando salários adequados
- to his help > para os seus empregados
- employees > funcionários
- demanded > exigiu
- farm hand > peão
- plus free room and board > além de alojamento e comida
- the cook > a cozinheira
- then there’s the half-wit > ah, tem também o otário
- makes about $10.00 > tira por volta de $10,00
- a week > por semana
- a bottle of Bourbon > uma garrafa de Bourbon (uísque)
- that’s the guy I want to talk to > esse é o cara com quem eu quero falar
- that would be me > esse sou eu
Referência: “Sorria, você está praticando inglês!“, de Mark G. Nash e Willians Ramos Ferreira, Disal Editora, 2010. Leia a sinopse.