Tempo de leitura: menos de 1 minuto
Mark G. Nash e Willians Ramos Ferreira
Do I really look that old?
Have you ever been guilty of looking at others your own age and thinking, “Surely I can’t look that old?!”
Well, my name is Alice Smith and I was sitting in the waiting room for my first appointment with a new dentist. I noticed his diploma, which bore his full name.
Suddenly I remembered a tall, handsome, dark-haired boy with the same name had been in my high school class some 40-odd years ago. Could he be the same guy that I had a secret crush on, way back then?
Upon seeing him, however, I quickly discarded any such thought. This bald, gray-haired man with the deeply lined face was way too old to have been my classmate.
After he examined my teeth, I asked him if he had attended Morgan Park High School. “Yes. Yes, I did. I’m a Mustang,” he gleamed with pride.
“When did you graduate?” I asked.
He answered, “In 1963. Why do you ask?”
“You were in my class!” I exclaimed.
He looked at me closely. Then that ugly, old, bald-headed, wrinkled, fat, gray-haired, decrepit old man asked…
“What did you teach?”
- do I really look that old? > eu pareço tão velho assim?
- have you ever been guilty of looking at others your own age > você já se pegou olhando para outras pessoas da sua idade
- waiting room > sala de espera
- bore his full name > trazia seu nome completo
- suddenly > de repente
- handsome > bonito
- dark-haired boy > garoto de cabelos pretos
- high school class > classe do colégio
- some 40-0dd years ago > cerca de 40 anos atrás
- the same guy that I had a secret crush on > o mesmo cara por quem eu era secretamente apaixonada
- way back then > muito tempo atrás
- upon seeing him > ao vê-lo
- quickly discarded any such thought > rapidamente descartei aquele pensamento
- bald > careca
- gray-haired > de cabelos grisalhos
- deeply lined face > rosto todo enrugado
- way too old > velho demais
- classmate > colega de classe
- had attended > havia frequentado
- I’m a Mustang > eu era do time dos Mustang
- gleamed with pride > gabou-se com orgulho
- when did you graduate? > quando você se formou?
- looked at me closely > olhou bem para mim
Cf. Piadas traduzidas: THE PHARMACIST
Cf. Piadas Traduzidas: The maid asked for a raise…
Cf. Piadas em Inglês: Do I look like a weatherman?
Cf. Piadas em inglês: A senior bought a brand new BMW Z4 convertible and…
Referência: “Sorria, você está praticando inglês!“, de Mark G. Nash e Willians Ramos Ferreira, Disal Editora, 2010. Leia a sinopse.